Search This Blog

Asian Inspired Sautéed Kale and Red Cabbage Recipe

11/16/2015 *Sara-Marie* 1 Comments


I love sautéed greens and cabbage, which I would have never known until I started eating more vegetables and greens when we started living this Whole30/Paleo lifestyle. 

If you follow me on Instagram or Facebook, you've seen a ton of variations of my sautéed cabbage and greens. I usually always add fresh garlic and some acid in the form of balsamic vinegar or fresh lemon juice (or both!) and something salty like prosciutto. 

This morning, I wanted something a little different so I ventured into making this dish with some Asian inspired flavors. The coconut aminos is a great paleo substitute for soy sauce and it takes the place of the vinegar and something salty that I usually like to add. The combination of the coconut aminos and the orange juice, garlic, and ginger really work so well together and transform this dish into something new and exciting. Topping with the sesame seeds and chopped cashews is a nice way to add some crunch and a little fat for satiety. 

I paired my sautéed veggies with a couple eggs and it was a perfect, complete meal! 

ASIAN INSPIRED SAUTÉED KALE & RED CABBAGE RECIPE

Recipe Ingredients:

1 bunch of kale, cleaned, and roughly chopped
1 cup of red cabbage, roughly chopped
1/2 red onion, small dice
2 tbsp avocado oil
Pinch or two of sea salt
1 garlic clove
1 tbsp orange juice
1 tbsp coconut aminos 
1/4 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp ginger (fresh or ground)
Small handful of chopped cashews, for topping
Sesame seeds, for topping

Recipe Directions:

1. Wash and prep your kale, red cabbage, and onion, removing stems from kale and roughly chopping everything into bite sized pieces. Make sure to dice the onion pretty small so it cooks quickly. 
2. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat and add about 2 tbsp avocado oil to the pan.
3. Add the red cabbage and onion, a pinch or two of sea salt,  and sauté for about 5 minutes. 
4. Add kale, garlic, orange juice, and coconut aminos and stir to combine. 
5. Continue to sauté until veggies are cooked to your liking, usually around 5-10 more minutes. I like my kale and cabbage to still have a bit of a bite to them and not too soft.
6. Season with pepper and ginger. Do a taste test and determine if a pinch of salt is in order or not. The coconut aminos should be enough, but you won't know until you taste! 
7. Top with sesame seeds and chopped cashews and enjoy! This could be enough for two servings or one serving for a hungry mama, like me!

Let me know what you think!

XOXO,
SMP

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. Are You Having Trouble STICKING with the Paleo Diet?

    Do you want to eat some tasty recipes TONIGHT?

    Check out: Paleohacks Cookbook.

    ReplyDelete