Homemade Italian Sausage with Peppers, Onions, and Spinach
I am always looking for new ways to make a quick meal that is both nutritious and delicious. This Italian Sausage recipe with peppers, onions, and spinach is not only both, but also super easy to pull together any day of the week.
We almost always have the ingredients in stock in our fridge and it always delivers. The spice blend is easy and you probably have everything in your pantry right now.
This dish is full of flavor and delicious on its own or over some cauliflower rice, white rice, or gluten-free pasta tossed in butter. Super kid-friendly, too!
We also like to add a dollop of homemade ranch dressing (I use this recipe), for a richness that really satisfies. If you like your Italian sausage hot, feel free to add a few shakes of crushed red pepper before serving.
Homemade Italian Sausage with Peppers, Onions, and Spinach Recipe
1 lb of ground pork (organic and/or pasture-raised)
2 bell peppers, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1 tbsp avocado oil (or cooking fat of choice)
1/4 cup broth (ideally homemade bone broth)
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp salt + a pinch
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp oregano, dried
1 tsp basil, dried
1 tsp parsley, dried
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
large handful chopped spinach (1-2 cups, loosely packed)
1. Over medium-high heat, heat 1 tbsp of avocado oil in a large skillet or pot.2. Saute peppers and onions with a pinch of salt for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add broth to deglaze the pan, scraping up any brown bits, and lower heat to medium.
4. Move peppers and onions to the perimeter, making space in the middle to add the ground pork. Break up pork with a wooden spoon and add the garlic and all of the spices. Stir to combine and cover.
5. Cook for about 10-15 minutes, stirring and re-covering occasionally, until pork is no longer pink.
6. Lower heat to medium-low and add chopped spinach. Stir to combine and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
7. Serve and enjoy!