Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Apple Soupbone broth into the little ones.
I've been making some variation of this Sweet Potato, Carrot, and Apple soup for probably almost two years now. I never wrote it down or followed a recipe, but a general method - chop up and cook the veggies you have on hand, add some broth, and puree until smooth. It really is that easy.
The sweet potato, carrot, and apple all have a nice sweetness to them so this soup is SO kid-friendly. My daughter Isabelle has always happily eaten this soup and asked for more. Also, you can use butternut squash or pumpkin instead of (or in addition to) the sweet potato, leave out the carrots, or add in more apple - whatever works for you! Truly, this recipe is super forgiving, but the combo of flavors is delicious, especially with sauteed onion and garlic thrown into the mix.
On multiple occasions, I have added in some cooked chicken or homemade sausage to make this a complete meal. The sausage and soup combo is actually one of my faves!
The last thing I'd like to point out is the seasoning. I truly enjoy this soup with just a generous seasoning of sea salt. My bone broths usually come out pretty flavorful and combined with the sweetness of the veggies and fruits, the soup has enough flavor for our palates. But if you'd like to get crazy with the herbs and spices, I would recommend cinnamon, turmeric, ginger, cloves, and Herbes de Provence as good options to choose from!
Okay - LAST last thing. For an even deeper level of flavor (and if you have the time), roast the veggies first, instead of cooking down in the soup pot. 30 minutes at 400 degrees should do it and then you can skip step 2 below.
SWEET POTATO, CARROT, and APPLE SOUP RECIPE
1 extra large sweet potato, peeled and diced (or two medium - you want about 1.5 pounds)
3 medium carrots, peeled and diced
2 apples, diced
1/2 onion, diced
4 garlic cloves, minced
1-2 tbsp ghee or grassfed butter
5 cups bone broth (preferably homemade. Add less for a thicker soup)
sea salt, to taste
1. Heat a large pot over medium heat and sauté onion in the ghee/butter for 2-3 minutes with a nice pinch of sea salt.
2. Add sweet potatoes, carrots, and apples into the pot, tossing to combine and adding another generous pinch of salt. Cook down for about 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Add in the garlic and cook until fragrant - about 30 seconds to 1 minute.
4. Add in the broth and scrape up any delicious brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
5. Lower heat to medium low, cover, and let simmer for about 10 additional minutes, or until all of the veggies are soft.
6. Once the veggies are cooked through, remove the pot from the heat and using an immersion blender, puree the soup. You can also carefully transfer to a regular blender, working in batches as needed.
7. Do a taste test once pureed and add more salt or additional seasonings as desired.
8. Serve and enjoy!