Search This Blog

Threw a bunch of stuff together and called it DINNER!

4/04/2012 *Sara-Marie* 0 Comments

Wow, three posts in one day. I must be on a roll.

Tonight I struggled with what to make for dinner. I had about 15 points left and I debated on getting some take out or trying to come up with something in the kitchen. Since Mark is working until 11pm tonight, there wasn't too much pressure to present a wonderful meal. Some times on these nights, I settle for PB&J and call it a night!

After staring at my pantry for a good 5 minutes, I decided to get creative. I had black beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, and whole berry cranberry sauce. Hmmmmm. Could that taste good together? What if I threw that all in a wrap and called it a burrito?

And that's when I started throwing a bunch of stuff together and calling it dinner!

I have named this Black Bean & Cranberry Chicken Chili?
 I started by making the black beans as I normally do: some sofrito, sazon, dash of cumin seeds, oregano, black pepper, drop of olive oil, etc.

I then added about 10 oz of already cooked chicken breast, roughly chopped.

After a minute or two, I added the whole can of diced tomatoes with green chilies (slightly drained) and the whole can of whole berry cranberry sauce. I let that simmer for a few minutes.

Lastly, I added a small bunch of fresh cilantro (straight from my little herb garden!), a dash of salt, and 1 oz of pepper jack cheese. I stirred until the cheese melted into the mixture and let it simmer for another 5 minutes or so. The pepper jack cheese added a nice little kick plus thickened up the mixture a bit (without adding too many points!)

The mixture came out kind of like a chili, and was tasty enough to eat on its own. I measured out 10 - 1/2 cup servings at about 4 points each. I had enough points to go with the full cup, which was more than enough. I did end up pairing it with two small wraps and a side salad:

the more plates you use, the more you think you're eating!!

I have to admit that the cranberry sauce added a lot more points than I had originally expected, but the hint of sweetness  in the dish complemented the spice of the green chilies and the pepper jack cheese! I would definitely make this again.

And since I mentioned it - here's my little herb garden! Growing strong!

Italian Parsley, Rosemary, and Cilantro

It is so convenient to have fresh herbs at your disposal! I would love to expand to grow basil, oregano, thyme, and sage in the near future. And I have to say that these herbs smell and taste so much stronger than when you buy them in the store! All I have to do is slightly touch the rosemary and my fingers smell for hours. It's crazy!

On that note, have a good night!

XOXO
SMP

You Might Also Like

0 comments: