Search This Blog

Hulk: SMASH!

5/07/2012 *Sara-Marie* 0 Comments

...one of my favorite lines from The Avengers movie AND the first thought that came to my mind after blending my first GREEN SMOOTHIE!

I've always wanted to try this and really didn't believe people when they said that you couldn't taste the dark, leafy vegetables in the smoothie. This morning I decided it was the day I was going to give it a try. I have to admit, I was overwhelmed by the zillion different recipes out there for a "green smoothie." So I decided to make my own version -- taking ideas from a couple different recipes.

Here are the ingredients:

1 banana
1/2 cup of frozen peaches
1/2 cup of frozen mango
1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk
1 tbsp of ground flax seed
2 generous handfuls of raw spinach

I started with blending everything except for the spinach:
Then, I added the spinach, one handful at a time. I made sure to blend REALLY well. I wanted it to be as smooth as possible with no trace of any spinach leaves. Outside of the color of course!

I thought it looked beautifully green! And it turns out to be pretty tasty! You REALLY don't taste the spinach at all as I tasted more banana than anything. I probably will add a touch of vanilla extract or some honey next time as I feel it was missing something -- but it was definitely a good start!


Considering how amazing spinach and other dark, leafy vegetables are for you, I am going to try to incorporate at least 1 green smoothie everyday. And for the record, to reap all of the health benefits, you MUST drink it through a hot pink flexi-bend straw ;)

What are your thoughts on green smoothies? What are some of your favorite combinations?

XOXO
SMP

You Might Also Like

0 comments: