Search This Blog

Simple Spicy Cashew Sauce

10/09/2012 *Sara-Marie* 1 Comments

I was craving something along the lines of lo mein or pad thai. Basically some saucy noodles with meat and veggies.

I only had about half hour to throw some dinner together last night, so I started to get creative with what I had on hand. What turned out was very delicious, satisfying, and the base of even better recipes to come.

Simple Spicy Cashew Sauce

Ingredients
 

  •  3/4 cup cashew butter
  • 1 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
  • 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
  • 2 Tbsp coconut aminos (or soy sauce)
  • 1 Tbsp chili garlic sauce (or more or less, depending on how spicy you want it)
  • pinch of salt (may not need if using soy sauce)
  • About 1-2 tsp of freshly grated ginger (I didn't measure, this is a guestimate) 
Super Easy Directions: 
  1. In a sauce pan over medium heat, whisk all ingredients together until it reaches a low simmer, is well combined, and slightly thickened.
 

 I decided to toss some of this sauce with some zucchini noodles (zucchini + julienne peeler + microwave for 1-2 minutes) and some left over garlic-herb chicken:
Slightly spicy, nutty, and very comforting
This recipe does make a pretty big batch, so I stored the left overs in a glass container:

Note: The sauce is kind of thick, but zucchini noodles tend to add moisture to a dish that thinned out the cashew sauce nicely. If using with regular noodles, you may want to add a little bit of water or more coconut milk to thin out.

Since I had so much sauce left over, I got creative again this morning for breakfast. I stripped up another zucchini and quickly scrambled 2 eggs with some salt and pepper...
Before the sauce arrived
...reheated some of the cashew sauce and gave it all a big toss!
Yum!
As the hubby put it "interesante!" and I would have to agree. It was different, surprisingly very good, and a nice change of pace. Plus, it's the perfect well balanced breakfast: veggies (a whole zucchini) + protein (eggs) + good fat (nut butter + coconut milk).

I still have a ton of sauce left, so I'm sure I'll keep coming up with ways to use it up!

While the sauce is very good as is, I do think I can make it great! 
What else would you add to make it even more flavorful?

You Might Also Like

1 comment:

  1. 3 Researches SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you actually burn fat by consuming Coconut Fats (in addition to coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medical journals are sure to turn the traditional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete