Nuggets of Wisdom - Part I (DILIGENCE)*Nuggets of Wisdom - Part I: Taken from the book The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, by Steven K. Scott. This is by no means an attempt to plagiarize, just taking note of this amazing teaching!*
LEARN THE SKILL OF DILIGENCE
"Diligence is a learnable skill that combines: creative persistence, a smart-working effort rightly planned and rightly performed in a timely, efficient, and effective manner to attain a result that is pure and of the highest quality of excellence." (page 12)
The Rewards of Becoming Truly Diligent
You will gain sure advantage.
- Proverbs 21:5 - "The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage"
- Proverbs 12:24 - "The hand of the diligent will rule, but the slack hand will be put to forced labor."
- Proverbs 13:4 - "The soul of the lazy man desires, and has nothing; But the soul of the diligent shall be made rich." (As in so contented and fulfilled that you crave nothing)
- Proverbs 22:29 - "Do you see a man diligent in his business? He shall stand before kings."
- Proverbs 28:19 - "He that tills his land shall be satisfied with bread, but he that follows vain persons is void of understanding."
- Proverbs 13:11 - "Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished but he that gathers by labor shall increase."
- Proverbs 14:23 - "In all labor there is profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty."
The Consequences of Not Being Diligent
(Same scriptures! Fascinating how each contains a blessing and a curse!)
You will always be at an insurmountable disadvantage.
- Proverbs 21:5 - The plans of the diligent lead surely to advantage. BUT everyone who is hasty comes surely to poverty."
- Proverbs 12:24 - "The hand of the diligent will rule, BUT the slack hand will be put to forced labor."
- Proverbs 13:4 - "The soul of the lazy man desires, and has nothing; BUT the soul of the diligent shall be made rich."
- Proverbs 28:19 - "He that tills his land shall be satisfied with bread, BUT he that follows vain persons is void of understanding."
- Proverbs 13:11 - "Wealth gotten by vanity shall be diminished, BUT he that gathers by labor shall increase."
- Proverbs 14:23 - "In all labor there is profit, BUT mere talk leads only to poverty."
How can you bring true diligence into every area of your life?
"Solomon gives us four steps that anyone can use to make diligence a part of his or her daily life. However there's one giant roadblock...our inherent tendency to take the path of least resistance, our innate laziness." (page 20)
Recognizing the Root Causes of Laziness
- Proverbs 21:2 - "Every man's way is right in his own eyes..."
- Proverbs 26:16 - "The sluggard is wiser in his own conceit than seven men that can render a reason..."
- Proverbs 24:30-31 - "I went by the field of the slothful, and by the vineyard of the man void of understanding; And, lo, it was all grown over with thorns, and nettles had covered the face thereof, and the stone wall thereof was broken down."
- Proverbs 20:4 - "The sluggard will not plow by reason of the cold; therefore shall he beg in harvest, and have nothing."
Solomon's Steps to Bring Diligence into Your Life
Step 1 - Wake Up to Reality
- Proverbs 6:9-11 - " 'How long will you lie there,' he asks. 'When will you get up from your sleep?...poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man."
- Proverbs 28:19 - "Without a vision, the people perish."
- Proverbs 15:22 - "Plans fail for lack of counsel, but with many advisers they succeed."
- Proverbs 16:16 - "How much better it is to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding is to be chosen above silver."
How great is this advice for every part of our lives? True diligence can help our careers, marriages, relationships, finances, etc!
Back to reading...XOXO