Part III: Effective Communication
*Nuggets of Wisdom - Part III: Taken from the book The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, by Steven K. Scott. This is by no means an attempt to plagiarize, just taking note of this amazing teaching!*
I haven't had time to post lately, but as I wait for Mark to come out of his LASIK surgery I thought I could continue with the chapters on COMMUNICATION. Sorry if it doesn't format correctly as I'm using email functionality!
Anyway, the significance of communication:
- What we say, and how we say it, can have a life changing impact on others.
- Your communication can extinguish anger or escalate it. Proverbs 15:1 "A soft answer turns away wrath but grievous words stir up anger."
- Your communication can wound others or heal them. Proverbs 12:18 "There is he that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health."
- Your communication can infuse life into a person's spirit. Proverbs 15:4 "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life."
- Your communication can save a life or take a life. Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love urbanely eat the fruit thereof."
- Your communication can bring delight to others. Proverbs 25:11 "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver."
Solomon's Keys to Communication
1. Speak in such a way that you make others want to listen. (Proverbs 15:2)
2. Learn to become persuasive. (Proverbs 16:23)
3. Listen before speaking. (Proverbs 18:13)
4. Be slow to speak and guard your words carefully. (Proverbs 29:20)
5. Never tear others down - rather build them up! (Proverbs 12:18)
6. Stop while you're ahead. (Proverbs 10:19)
7. Share genuine wisdom. (Proverbs 10:31)
8. Always speak truthfully. (Proverbs 10:18)
Communication is so much a part of who we are, let's pay more attention on how and what we communicate!