Search This Blog

Coincidence? I think not!

3/11/2011 *Sara-Marie* 0 Comments

Good Morning!

So it's been a couple of weeks since the last blog post, but I just had to share some AMAZING nuggets of wisdom that I'm getting from a book I randomly picked up yesterday. Mark and I were driving to PA and stopped somewhere in CT for a break. In the shopping plaza that we pulled into, there was a Borders that was going out of business. Mark suggested that we take a peek and see if we could find any good books for cheap. I rush to the back of the store because I needed to use the restroom (the real
purpose for stopping in the first place!) and on a rather empty (and
messy) shelf there was a book standing perfectly straight up that immediately caught my eye: The Richest Man Who Ever Lived, by Steven K. Scott.

I was intrigued.

It turns out this book is about King Solomon and the Book of Proverbs. The author, who had serious trouble holding a successful job for many years, was given the following challenge:

"There are 31 days in the month, and there are 31 chapters in the biblical Book of Proverbs. Every day, at the start of each day, read the chapter in Proverbs that corresponds to that particular date. Read two chapters on the last day of months that have only 30 days. Do that every day, month after month, and I guarantee that within two years you'll be smarter than all of your bosses. Do it for 5 years, and I'll bet you will become a millionaire."

What an awesome challenge! The author accepted the challenge and it worked! Whenever he followed King Solomon's advice, he became extremely successful (the man's a millionaire now!) and when he acted against the advice in Proverbs, he failed miserably.

The book presents some of the biggest pieces of advice taken directly from the Proverbs and so far it's awesome! Why Proverbs you may ask? Well in case you weren't aware, here's a short summary of who King Solomon was:
*He was appointed King of Israel by his father, David, shortly before David died
*He was only 12 years old!
*He was terrified of ruling Israel because he didn't think the had the wisdom to do so
*God appeared to Solomon and asked him for what he wanted and he asked only for wisdom (1 Kings 3:9)
*Since Solomon didn't ask for riches, wealth, honor, etc, God was pleased with him and gave Solomon more wisdom, knowledge, riches, wealth, and honor than any king before him or any king that come after him.
*In terms of wealth, some have suggested that in today's dollars, Solomon may well have been a trillionaire!
*An even bigger example is when he began to violate the laws of living that he so wisely wrote in Proverbs--when he went against his own advice his success and happiness diminished.

Is it a coincidence that when we follow the same advice that God gave King Solomon to share, we are able to reach true success and happiness in our lives? Is it a coincidence that this book caught my eye during a random potty break in CT?

I THINK NOT!

As I go through the book, I will be sharing some of the nuggets of wisdom on my blog for two reasons: 1.) This is too good to keep to myself and 2.) I think it will help me remember what I read!

I'm also going to take the same challenge that the author was given. I challenge YOU to do the same!


You Might Also Like

0 comments: