Search This Blog

Eggs on the grill? Yeaaaaa, buddy.

6/16/2012 *Sara-Marie* 0 Comments


Grilled Eggs in Red Pepper Halves

This morning I was feeling a little creative and I just LOVE using our grill. To me, it makes every meal just a little more enjoyable. So this breakfast (or lunch or whenever meal) is really easy, but definitely a bit tricky. After posting this picture on facebook, I got a number of comments of friends wanting to try it and a few private messages on the recipe. I definitely think this recipe is a work in progress, since it was my first time attempting to make this.

Turn on grill - medium heat

Step 1: Wash, cut off top, and remove seeds from a red pepper. Now I decided to cut my red pepper lengthwise, because I wanted to be able to use both sides of the pepper. HOWEVER, it would probably hold the egg a lot easier if you cut it in half, the other way. As long as the bottom was perfect and would stand on it's own on the grill. Then I guess you could figure out something to do with the other half that doesn't have a bottom.

Step 2: As you can see in the picture, I kept the top of the pepper I had cut off (minus the stem) and actually used it to lean my two pepper halves on while I cracked one egg into each. (This part of it is not pictured since I had moved them to photograph them). Leaning them on the top will help to keep the egg from spilling out all over your grill. Sprinkle with some salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Close the grill lid.

NOTE: Now, I didn't know how long it would take the egg to set so I kept checking it very often. Turns out it takes a little while -- and it was probably taking a lot longer because I kept opening the lid!

After about 10 minutes, it still really wasn't setting so I decided to cover it loosely with a piece of aluminum foil. This really did the trick. I would recommend doing that from the beginning!

Step 3: Once the egg is mostly done, I added a tiny sprinkle of shredded cheese and recovered with the aluminum foil. Once it was bubbly, I removed the egg peppers from the grill.

Since, the egg peppers were on the grill for about 20 minutes, my red peppers got pretty charred. Had I covered with the aluminum from the beginning and left the lid closed for most of the time, the egg probably would have set much faster and my pepper wouldn't have been so charred. However -- the pepper tasted AMAZING! So sweet and developed just an amazing flavor. CON: While you can easily peel off the black skin off the pepper -- it was a little difficult with your lovely egg inside. Plus it was a little bit of work to do before being able to enjoy your meal! Again, I will cover loosely with aluminum foil from the beginning to create a pocket of heat around the egg which will hopefully cause the whole thing to cook much faster.

I didn't try this, but I think it would be delicious with some salsa or guacamole on top or maybe even both! Or maybe adding some chopped turkey breakfast sausage or crumbled bacon before adding the cheese. Yummmy. I will definitely have to try again soon!

IN OTHER NEWS: 

Despite the fact that I didn't make it to the gym ALL week and I was in MA Tuesday - Friday, I still lost 0.2 pounds! I know it's not a lot but I usually come back from work travel with a few extra pounds. I'm proud of myself for practicing self control and I'm grateful for my in-laws who are very supportive of my eating habits!

Here are a few meal highlights from before heading up to Boston:

Mixed greens, avocado, diced chicken breast, strawberries, pineapples, blueberries, green, red, and yellow diced peppers. Served with the homemade dressing below!

This is so easy and you know it's not filled with extra crap you can't even pronounce! 1 tbsp each of stoneground dijon mustard, organic honey, olive oil and white wine vinegar = delicious honey mustard dressing. I only needed 1 tbsp for my huge salad above. Very tasty.

We LOVE guacamole in this house. And my recipe is kinda the bomb. Why ruin a healthy treat with salty, oily chips? Keep the crunch and scoop it up with yellow and red peppers.

Mark kept his pasta, but I substituted with cauliflower "rice" to go with the turkey sausage and broccoli.

Simple salad with my honey mustard dressing + bacon wrapped chicken kabobs. Try it. 

While I was in MA, Momma Pops and I made a healthy and delicious meal together:

Lemon chicken with Broccoli - WW Recipe - 4 points a serving

Roasted cauliflower and roasted tomatoes. Amazing. I think roasting cauliflower is my favorite way to have it. It was so good, this was all that was left by the time dinner was ready! 

Once I got back into PA last night, I went STRAIGHT to the grocery store to stock up on veggies and fruits. In order to stay on track, I have to have lots of healthy options at my finger tips. Luckily, the nearby Aldi's has a great produce section with ridiculously good prices:

Some highlights: those 2 lbs of red, seedless grapes = $1.78; pint of blueberries = $1.99; bananas at .35 cents a pound; 2 lbs of red plums = $2.39; crazy, right?! 


And I just want to add how much I LOVE red plums:

and, you can have like 3 for under 100 calories!

Alright, that's all I have for you today!




Happy Father's Day to all of the fathers out there! But most importantly to MY amazing father! His love and faith is inspiring; truly a man of integrity; a man of God.


LOVE YOU PAPI!!!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments: