Sausage and Kale Pesto Bowl Recipe
After a great WOD (workout of the day) at the box (Crossfit word for gym), I was hangry (a cross between hungry and angry). I got home at 8am, got the baby down for a nap by 8:45, and had a work conference call to attend at 9. I decided to be adventurous and make breakfast while on the phone - thank God for mute buttons!
Since I was paying attention to the conference call, I just started pulling stuff out of the fridge and throwing things together. End result was a yummy bowl of chicken sausage, grape tomatoes, kale, and cashew pesto. It's a simple recipe which can easily be adapted to whatever veggies and proteins you have on hand. I ate this whole thing, but it could also easily be a side dish for two alongside some eggs - darn, why didn't I think of that earlier?
Sausage & Kale Pesto Bowl Recipe
2 Aidell's Chicken & Apple Sausage (whole30 approved!), diced
15-20 grape tomatoes, quartered
2 big handfuls of organic kale, cut and cleaned
1 heaping TBSP of pesto (recipe below for cashew pesto)
1 TBSP cooking fat of choice
1 capful of apple cider vinegar
pinch of salt
1. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat.
2. While your skillet is heating up, chop up chicken sausage and grape tomatoes into bite size pieces.
3. Once the skillet is hot, add enough cooking fat (I used olive oil) to coat the pan and add your chicken sausage and grape tomatoes. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3-5 minutes.
4. Add your two big handfuls of kale, pinch of salt, and capful of apple cider vinegar.
5. Stir frequently until kale is wilted. Kale is a sturdy green, so it may take a little longer to wilt than let's say spinach.
6. Once the kale is cooked to your liking, add a heaping tablespoon of already prepared pesto. I had my cashew pesto already in the fridge from earlier in the week. Stir until pesto is warmed up and lightly coated on everything.
7. Serve in a nice big bowl and savor every bite!
Cashew Pesto Recipe
My cashew pesto recipe is based on Everyday Paleo's Walnut Pesto. Lately, I've been using cashews instead of walnuts and twice the amount of lemon juice and I love the way it turns out.
Recipe Ingredients (adapted from original recipe)
4 oz fresh basil (or a big bunch)1 cup cashews halves and pieces
6 garlic cloves
1 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
Juice from 1 lemon
1. In a food processor add the cashews, garlic, salt, and olive oil. Process until smooth.
2. Add the basil and lemon juice and process again until smooth.
3. Take a taste and fall in love.