Sweet Potato and Sausage Frittata Recipe
We decided to start off the New Year with a big, hearty breakfast so I decided to make a frittata with some of my favorite ingredients: sweet potato, sausage, cilantro and avocado. Frittatas are super easy and can be made with whatever ingredients you have in your fridge!
Sweet Potato & Sausage Frittata Recipe
6 eggs (we use organic, cage-free)
1/2 large sweet potato, cooked and diced
6 all-natural pork sausage links, cooked and diced
1-2 TBSP fat of choice (we used ghee)
1-2 TBSP of freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 ripe avocado, diced
ground cumin, to taste
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat a medium sized cast-iron skillet over medium heat and set your oven broiler on high.
2. If you're working with leftovers for the sweet potato and the sausage, you can skip this step. If not, make sure to cook the sweet potato in the microwave, and cook the sausage links in a separate pan. Chop both the sweet potato and sausage into bite-sized pieces, once cooked.
3. In a medium sized bowl, whisk the 6 eggs with salt, pepper, a sprinkle of ground cumin, and 1 TBSP of the fresh cilantro.
4. Once the cast-iron skillet is heated (I wait until it starts to smoke just a little), add 1-2 TBSP of fat of your choice. We used ghee, but you can use coconut oil, olive oil, etc.
5. Pour egg mixture into the oiled cast-iron pan and add both the sweet potato and sausage pieces.
6. Once the egg is just set on the bottom and sides, carefully place the skillet into oven. The broiler will cook the top of the frittata, without you having to flip the massive thing!
7. Keep an eye on the frittata as it can cook pretty quickly with the broiler on high. In about 3-4 minutes, your frittata should be nice and golden brown on top and fully cooked.
8. Remove from oven, let rest for a minute or so and then serve! I topped our frittata with fresh avocado and the rest of the fresh cilantro.
This meal was incredibly delicious and very filling! It's a great serving of protein, good carbs, and good fats to keep you satiated for many hours!